Mahtomedi Area Food Shelf
The mission of the Mahtomedi Area Food Shelf is to provide nutritional assistance to individuals and families in need living within the Mahtomedi Community. We achieve our mission by securing wholesome food and offering compassionate and courteous service. We conscientiously manage our resources through efficient business practices.
The Mahtomedi Area Food Shelf serves people living within the boundaries of the Mahtomedi School District #832, and is a ministry of St. Jude of the Lake Catholic Church.
Food Shelf Coordinator, Michelle Stiepan
Due to COVID-19 pick up times are flexible but you HAVE TO MAKE AN APPOINTMENT. Call 651-395-5350 to make an appointment.
Mahtomedi Area Food Shelf Guidelines
All of our food, packing, stocking, grocery pick-ups and funds come from donations and volunteers. It is extremely important that you
follow these simple guidelines so we may keep the Food Shelf running smoothly and continuously.
- School District 832 boundaries no more than once per month*. If you move from the service area and still require assistance, we can provide you with the names and locations of food shelves in your new area.
- You will be required to fill out The Emergency Food Assistance Program (TEFAP) form at the start of each new calendar year along with a new intake form.
- You must be able to show proof of residency in our service area. A valid driver’s license/state I.D. is preferred. A utility bill or rent receipt
(postmarked within the past 30 days) with your name and address is also acceptable when presented with a photo I.D.
- Our food shelf hours are Tuesdays and Thursdays from 1:00 to 3:00 pm, 1st & 3rd Wednesdays from 5:00pm – 7:00pm. You are required to place your food order before 9:00 am the day of pick-up. Orders placed after 9:00 am can be picked up the next scheduled pick-up day.
- If you are unable to pick-up your groceries, please call to make other arrangements. If you order food and do not pick it up, we will hold it for the next scheduled pick-up day. Food that is ordered and not picked up will NOT be held beyond the second pick-up day.
- Special items such as coffee, sugar, spices, dressing, diapers, formula, detergents and cleaning supplies are donated to the food shelf on
occasion. When these items are requested and available, our volunteers will pack them with your groceries
HUNGER DOESN’T STOP on the WEEKEND!
As the Mahtomedi Area Food Shelf continues to fulfill its mission to serve families in the community, we have also been busy with our expanding “Weekend Backpack Program”. We handout 65 bags per week to our kids in the Mahtomedi Schools, plus snacks for school days.
The Food Shelf, along with local civic groups, businesses, churches, our school district, community education and many volunteers, is proud to sponsor the Tree of Light and Remembrance, the Food Shelf’s biggest fundraiser.
Purchasing a light for the Tree of Light in honor or memory of a loved one is a wonderful way to cherish someone who has been an inspiration to you and your family.
This is the 20th year of the event, which serves the community through the Food Shelf. It has grown into a beautiful tradition to support those in need.
Donations & Volunteering
We accept both food and financial donations. You may drop off food during regular business hours for the St. Jude of the Lake parish office, or at any of the convenient sites around the community below.
Donation Drop-Off Sites
- Festival Foods on County Rd E
- Cub Foods in Stillwater
- Food Shelf office – Drop off times are Monday – Friday, 8:00 am – 3:30 pm.
Large donations by appointment, contact Michelle Stiepan
Weekend Backpack Program Needs
Healthy granola bars
Snack crackers w/peanut butter or cheese or other types.
Shelf stable milk boxes (i.e. Yoo Hoo)
Canned Tomato products
100% Fruit Juice
Canned Fruit in juice
Pasta of All Kinds